jeudi, octobre 19, 2006

What Michael Told Me

I was flying home after an impromptu business trip yesterday. After two days of banging my head against the wall, I was really excited to spend some quality time drinking Dewars on the rocks and reading Martin Amis's "The Rachel Papers" (so far so good). I knew that as soon as our meals arrived* the gentleman sitting next to me would strike up a conversation. He did. Although I missed the 2.5 hours of uninterrupted reading, I really enjoyed our chat.

The gentleman sitting next to me, his name was Michael, had two school-aged kids. These are the three values he instills in them:

1. Learn a lot.
2. Make a lot of friends.
3. Behave yourself.

That about covers it doesn't it? And one could apply those rules to the work world too, no?



*Duf usually flies in the "forward cabin."