mercredi, novembre 03, 2004

Elizabeth Kubler Ross and Radiohead: An Election Day Post Mortem

Elizabeth Kubler Ross identified the 5 stages of grief and bereavment as:

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

And somehow, I'm feeling the first four all at once. But not so much the anger. Maybe that means I'm still stuck in denial (except that I accept that once the people have spoken - let the will of the people be carried forward...may we get the leaders we deserve).

Regardless of the outcome in Ohio, there are no soft words for it. I'm devastated. My stomach hurts, and I can feel my heart pounding. I can find no adequate ways to express how I feel. In my heart, in my skin, in my stomach, in my hair, with every fiber of my being, I believe that we are really in trouble.

I don't want to live in a theocracy, Christian or otherwise. I don't understand Christianity, and it doesn't seem like I ever will.

I don't want to live in a plutocracy. I don't hate the poor.

I am not very smart. I don't get it, and I am a complete and total member of the lunatic fringe. There is no hope for me. When it comes to such things, I clearly do not have good sense. I must be wrong about everything.

I'll close with the words of Radiohead:

Whatever makes you happy.
Whatever you want.
You're so f&^%ing special.
I wish I was special.
But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo.
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here.

I don't belong here.