lundi, novembre 01, 2004

Two Pleas, If You Please

On this day before the election, if I could do two things to influence the outcome, they would be:

First, to have all eligible citizens vote.

Voting is so important. It supports our potential democracy, it exercises our collective will, and it honors our ancestors who suffered so that more of us (the under educated, the poor, those who don't own property, women and people of color, the young, among others) could come closer to enjoying all the rights that should be afforded citizens in an aspiring democracy. We are easier to ignore because our elected officials know they can concentrate their message on those who vote. If we all voted, then none of us could be left behind.

Second, to have all Americans read this article.

I will keep my post short today to encourage you to read that article. It is kinda long, but it is excellent. Take it in chewable bites if you must, but please read it.

So, my two pleas: please vote and please vote for John Kerry (or, if you want, against George Bush, yes, against George Bush. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's okay to vote against George Bush). Please.