mercredi, janvier 04, 2006

Bzzzzzzz Zap!, or: The Trifecta of My Disgust

There is a parking garage adjacent to the office building in which I work. It is a nice covered structure. If you’re a big shooter and wanna pay $100 per month (which is roughly $1200 per year) you can park in an underground heated lot. It can be nice in the winter.

Anywho, our building management (a thoughtful lot, as you’ll see) took time recently to install a heat lamp so that friends and colleagues who enjoy tobacco cigarettes* can smoke under its warm glow. I assume the primary goal is to keep folks warm whilst they smoke. I think the secondary goal is to encourage people to smoke in the designated area (instead of right by the door).

But whenever I drive by and people are under the light, it seems like it is designed to highlight their vice. It comes across as part cautionary tale, and part mosquito zapper. I can’t help but giggle a bit when I see smokers huddled beneath it.

+++++++++

BTW, what did I see whilst on my lunch break? The trifecta of my disgust:

An SUV... (international symbol for earth hater)

with a Bush/Cheney sticker on it… (international symbol for driver = ignoramus)

whose driver flicked a cigarette butt out the window (international symbol for selfish earth hater who likes to make the world less beautiful and create problems for others to solve; a suggestion about the type of person who passes up an ash tray that is inches away to throw trash on the ground like it's funny or cool).

It would trouble you to know how much it bothers me when I see SUVs with Bush Cheney stickers driven by litterbugs. It would trouble you.

Anyway, smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.



* I’m told that marijuana cigarettes should not be enjoyed on the premises.