lundi, juin 19, 2006

Think of this Post as an SAT Question - What is the Real Reason for this Post*?

a) I heard on the radio that $9,000,000,000 would be spent on Father's Day this year (up from 8,200,000,000 last year) - I have to imgaine that's worldwide. The average amount per person per father was $88. The average person spends $124 for mother day - $36 more - and rightly so. I had a wonderful Father's Day. I golfed with my friend David and played reasonably well (I was a bit inconsistent), we spent some time at the lake, and then went to dinner - just me and my three girls: Duf's Mom, Mrs. Duf, and TinyE.

Here's our tally:

Golf (with a cart on the house**): $38
Walk to the lake (one ice cream cone and one water): $3.50
Dinner for four at Jake's in Eagan: $82
Present number one, box of Walker's Shortbread cookies (Duf's favorite): $3
Present number two, art made by TinyE: priceless

Total expenditure: $126.50
Amount spent per person (Mrs. Duf and TinyE only): $63.25
Amount spent per person (including Duf's Mom): $42.17


b) I just finished reading "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo. It was published in 2001, and I would describe it as a book that has something for everyone. People who like a gentle read will admire it for its acessible and engaging plot, those who admire literature will find a strong central theme, advanced subtly, and those who like a craftsman, will be dazzled by the story structure. Highly recommended - especially for the Epilogue. Perhaps the highest praise I can give it is that it went right from my nightstand to my wife's nightstand, and it is a rare book that we both admire (although Mrs. Duf is reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" on of my all-time favorites). I will read some of his other works for sure.

c) I probably won't post for a few days. I'm going to Chicago, Illinois, for the Radiohead concert.



*The answer is C. Too subtle?
**I typically use my allowance for green fees.