lundi, décembre 04, 2006

With the Benefit of Perspective

This morning when I left my home at 5:25, it was snowing. Everything was beautiful, but - if I do say so myself - it was a bit too cold.

As I write this, I'm in Tempe, Arizona. It is December, and it's about 70 degrees outside. The perfect temperature.

Now, normally, I would tell you that the Phoenix metropolitan area is the third worst major market metro area in the United States behind Orlando, Florida (easily the worst major metro area in the country) and Southern California (awful, just awful). If I get time tonight, I'll give Orlando and Southern California the same send-up I gave St. Paul a bit ago.

I'm being 100% serious when I tell you that I would live in Birmingham, Alabama*, three times before I would even think about Phoenix.

But today...

Well, today...

Phoenix is a little bit more charming. Today, Phoenix is your bipolar lover riding high on a beautiful, placid and seemingly never-ending manic wave.


*I'm convinced that Birmingham is the most underrated city in the U.S. But then I've only been there as a visitor (and only for a total of like 30 days - over several trips).