lundi, octobre 02, 2006

My Number Ten Wish for the 2006 Elections

This post is part of a series listing my ten wishes for the upcoming election. Each day I will post one wish starting with number 10 and working my way up to the wish I desire most. Because we should think globally and act locally, you’ll notice a Minnesota slant to my wishes. If you’re a progressive or a liberal or a left-wing nut job from another state, I hope your wishes come true too. And now, without further delay, here’s today’s wish…


10. Robert Menendez defeats Tom Kean, Jr., United States Senate Race, New Jersey

Robert Menendez was appointed by John Corzine to fill his seat in the United States Senate when Corzine left the Senate to be Governor in January of this year. Tom Kean, Jr. is, by all accounts, a moderate Republican. But he is, still, a Republican. Simply put, given the rate at which incumbents hold onto seats once elected, a win by Tom Kean, Jr. would give the Republicans a seat in a state that typically sends Democrats to the United States Senate. Polls show the race to be a dead heat and also show that 6% of voters are undecided. NPR recently ran a story, and if name recognition decides the race, then Menendez will finish a distant second. Everyone remembers Kean’s father, the popular two-term Governor who was also a member of the 9/11 Commission. I see this race as a possible swing race determining which party controls the Senate. If Menendez retains the seat, I think that bodes well for Democrats overall.